Smart Communities News
1–25 of 28 items | Next »
Measuring an Era
- Carl Vogel, Mar 25, 2013, make a comment
- The Smart Communities pilot has reached its quantitative goals, but its impact goes even further
Job Search 2.0
- Carl Vogel, Feb 18, 2013, make a comment
- By linking help with technology to employment assistance, the Englewood FamilyNet Center doubles up what it offers local residents
Report: Web Use Way Up in Smart Communities
- Feb 7, 2013, make a comment
- New report shows Internet use up by 15 percent in LISC Chicago's Smart Communities.
Small, Smart and Ready
- Carl Vogel, Nov 8, 2012, make a comment
- Thanks to a well-designed series of workshops, dozens of small businesses in Pilsen are better prepared to succeed.
Lessons for Life
- Carl Vogel, Aug 8, 2012, make a comment
- With support from Comcast, a tech training in Englewood helps local residents get ready for school and career.
Technology and neighborhood youth – a missed opportunity?
- Gordon Walek, Jun 1, 2012, make a comment
- Young people in underserved neighorhoods have more access to digital technology than one might expect. But are they connecting to tools that will help them build a better future?
Englewood Smart Community: A Video
- Carl Vogel, Mar 1, 2012, make a comment
- This video summerizes how much the Smart Communities program is doing in Englewood.
Tech Classes Offer Opportunity In West Humboldt Park
- Carl Vogel, Jan 4, 2012, make a comment
- With a new netbook computer and the skills to use it, graduates from the Chicago Commons computer trainings are ready for the new year.
Smart Communities Wins Planning Award
- Carl Vogel, Dec 13, 2011, make a comment
- The Illinois Chapter of the American Planning Association gives Smart Communities its 2011 Implementation Award
Auburn Gresham Celebrates in Style
- Carl Vogel, Nov 21, 2011, make a comment
- For its second annual Red Carpet event, the Auburn Gresham Smart Communities program showed off all that it offers
Neighborhoods Celebrate Their New Digital Skills
- Carl Vogel, Oct 20, 2011, make a comment
- The Broadband Launch event brought together five Smart Communities to recognize all that’s been accomplished and what comes next
Graduation Day Means New Technology
- Carl Vogel, Sep 27, 2011, make a comment
- The Earned Computers for Training program distributed its first rounds of netbooks to graduates at joyous ceremonies in the Smart Communities
Argonne Lab Showcases Science Careers
- Carl Vogel, Aug 22, 2011, make a comment
- Students in the Digital Youth Summer Jobs program visited Argonne Labs to see the cutting-edge of technology
Portal Party Celebrates Two Years of the Pilsen Portal
- Carl Vogel, Aug 17, 2011, make a comment
- Residents come out to hear about the growth of the Pilsen Portal and to enjoy local food, drinks and music
Portal News: West Humboldt Park Library Dedicated
- Christy Prahl, Aug 2, 2011, make a comment
- When the new Richard M. Daley branch of the Chicago Public Library opened in west Humboldt Park, the Humboldt Park Portal was there to cover the news for the community.
Smart Communities Part of Mayor's Digital Town Hall
- By Chris Geovanis and Debra Pickett, Jul 12, 2011, make a comment
- Residents of Englewood, Auburn Gresham and Chicago Lawn deploy newfound digital democracy skills at Facebook town hall meeting with Mayor Emanuel.
Employers Gear Up to Hire 61 'Digital' Youth
- By Patrick Barry, Jun 24, 2011, 1 comment
- A potentially life-changing experience is in store for 61 youth as the Smart Communities program prepares for its second year of Digital Youth Summer Jobs.
Veterans Training Program Begins
- Jun 9, 2011, make a comment
- Tech organizers Jimmy Prude and Demond Drummer hosted a joint orientation to Smart Communities on June 2 with veterans from the Auburn Gresham and Englewood communities.
New Crew of Techies Graduates in Pilsen
- By Carl Vogel, May 26, 2011, make a comment
- More than two dozen residents in Pilsen received a Certificate of Digital Literacy as the first graduates of the community's Civic 2.0 course
Smart Communities Teams Host D.C. Delegation
- By Patrick Barry, Mar 14, 2011, make a comment
- Two crowded rooms and plenty of stories provided a vivid picture of Chicago’s Smart Communities Program for a Washington, D.C., delegation checking up on the federally funded effort.
Auburn Gresham is a Smart Community
- By Ernest Sanders, Dec 14, 2010, make a comment
- The Greater Auburn-Gresham Development Corporation (GADC) launched its Smart Communities Initiative with a digital and red carpet theme. With nearly 400 attendees, people of all economic and …
Summer Program Graduates First Class
- By Carl Vogel, Oct 6, 2010, make a comment
- For the dozen teens gathered in the community room at Beloved Community Christian Church, the Youth Recognition Ceremony was yet another group activity that underscored and highlighted their…
Youth See Tech's Leading Edge at IIT
- By Carl Vogel, Sep 13, 2010, make a comment
- High school students were all eyes when Tom Lord, a sophomore at Illinois Institute of Technology, drove a waist-high robot-on-wheels that looks more like a giant spool. "That's wild," said one…
How Can Tech Power Communities?
- By Carl Vogel, Jul 15, 2010, make a comment
- At an information technology conference in Chicago, a panel of presenters offered a clinic for techies on how to get involved with community issues. It was quickly apparent that information…
Humboldt Park Primed for Tech Investment
- By Carl Vogel, Jun 17, 2010, make a comment
- When restaurant owner Tony Muñiz installed wi-fi for his customers, he wasn't sure whether it would be used. But a look around the busy room at lunch time shows he shouldn’t have …
1–25 of 28 items | Next »